Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dennis Brown Loved by all

I really have to get myself geared up to be able to write about Dennis and Laurie, I was way to emotional to do it on January 14th but I am going to try to do it tonight through the tears and also the laughter while I think about Dennis. To say that I love Dennis and adored him is an understatment. He was one of the greatest men I ever knew. I looked forward almost daily to seeing him. He reminds me so much of my wonderful husband that I just adored him and thought he walked on water. I don't know were to start with stories so I will just start writing. Dennis had a respect for me that was really heart felt. I mean who else would move a wall, take a rocking chair upstairs in the paint shop to just see if it would fit in the apartment and then take it back to his house, put up with my side hugs when they where in his space and let us live with him 3 different times. His dry sense of humor and hummmmmm, always made me laugh. I want to share some things I remember the last year of his life though. In January Naomi was born and he would come over almost daily to see her. On some occasions he would just do a drive by because he did not want to have to come in while my sisters and mom was there. So I would call him and he would say I was just checking. But other times he did not care who was there he wanted to see and hold her. He took tons of pictures of her so he could show her off to everyone in the bank. It made me laugh. He would show up quite often at our house with a few bags of chips and throw them on the couch. It was usually around 8 in the morning so I was not dressed. I would go jumping acrost the kitchen like a deer in headlights and he would say just dropping off something I got on a good deal. It would make my day. After Laurie and him would go to Chemo I would find a half eaten pizza on my table or Laurie's left over steak from applebees. Because Dennis knew I loved steak. He would come over all of the time in the evening after the kids had been tucked in bed. They would hear his voice and come running up the stairs just to see there grandpa. He loved them so much, and they loved him. He would always come and get the boys when it was time to mow the lawn and return them after he had mowed his and then ours. One day my washer overflowed and I called Dennis at the bank. (Not expecting him to show up within 5 minutes) but he was there fixing the problem immediately. I think he even cut his finger that time and had to go get stitches. But he didn't complain he was just glad to help. When I fell out of love with my dog checkers. Dennis offered to take him which was very generous until we got him back. The thing that made me laugh though after Dennis took him is that he showed up to our house with a stove he had found that was a good deal ( because two of my burners weren't working). I remember him sitting outside of the house with the stove in the little trailer. He said I found you a stove, it is payment for checkers. I was like Dennis you do not need to pay us for checkers. He laughed and then opened the bottom drawer of the stove and said hey kids I think the owners left some cheetos in here. Dennis had filled the drawer with little bags of cheetos because he found out how much my kids loved them.It was so great and reminds me of how thoughtful and kind he was. He was so selfless, one night Dave's fishtanks had overflowed and we found out in the middle of the night, so we called him to see if we could pull the carpet up. We did not expect him to show up, but he was there in minutes. Another time was when Dave and I lived with him in Rexburg, we got an apartment and needed to move. So Dave, Dennis and I jumped in the van and went to moscow to move us over the weekend. I throw up most of the drive and he had a great time teasing me. He would not let me lift a box when we got up there, just pack the stuff because I was pregnant. He loved my kids so much and it is something that I will be eternally grateful for. Kyle and Kameron played hop on grandpop all the time. He was extremely patient with them and didn't seem to mind a bit that they were climbing all over him. In fact I think he liked it. He enjoyed feeding them things like mountain dew, chips, pickles, bacon and etc. He fixed bike tires and would come to the church parking lot often to watch the kids drive the go kart he found for them. We all loved to wake up some Saturday mornings and go garage saleing with him. Dennis was just an incredible man an has left us an amazing legacy to live up to. He cared for Laurie unconditionally, and would do anything in his power to keep her alive. He wanted to be her cargiver in the end, he would not let anyone else take her to doctor appointments, and so much more. He had a whole slew of vitamins and protein drinks that he would give her. I found out that the doctors did not proscribe to her. He loved her and she loved him. They were such a bueatiful couple. As I think back on about the last month he was alive some vivid images come to mind. One day Kyle was helping grandpa hook up a trailer and something happened. All I remember is that Dennis was so patient, and perfect in the way he handled things. I remember thinking wow I need to be more like Dennis with my kids. I almost felt like he was extra patient and understanding the last couple of months. There was something extra special about him the last little while that I have thought of often but can't explain. But overall I am so blessed to have known him and to be married to his posterity. I love him so much. He has always been nothing but wonderful, respectful, serviceful and kind to me. I miss our our talks in the back yard, and downstairs while he was eating lays and drinking pop with his feet up in the recliner. I am so glad he was born. I hope to be with him again someday. Love always Melanie

2 comments: